[Mich-listers] Eurasian Collared Dove - Delta Co.

Joe Kaplan commoncoast at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 10:09:34 EDT 2011

I finally had a look this week at the underside of Eurasian
Collared-Dove that has been in Escanaba since the beginning of the
month.  The dove has both gray  undertail coverts and dark along the
outer web of the outer tail feathers extending past the dark bases.
I'm not sure about the universe of possible hybrids but a turtle dove
can be ruled out.

Please see my post from early June for directions to the bird.  The
dove is infrequently seen but does occasionally visit a couple feeders
in the block and seems to be visiting with increasing frequency.

Joe Kaplan

 ---A probable Eurasian Collared-Dove was foraging along the sidewalk
of the house
at the intersection of 13th Ave So. and Lake Shore Drive in Escanaba
yesterday.
The ID was scrambled when a Fed Ex truck pulled up and flushed the
dove before I
could note the undertail pattern. Efforts to relocate the bird into the evening
were not successful.

The area were the dove was seen is just opposie (south) the tennis courts of
Veterans Park, a little ways south of Ludington Park.

Joe Kaplan