[Mich-listers] White-faced Ibis and 2nd Plegadis sp. ibis @ Pt. Mouillee - Saturday morning

Jerry Jourdan jourdaj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 12:23:24 EDT 2011

Adam Byrne and Scott Terry found a pair of *Plegadis* *sp*. ibis at Pt.
Mouillee this morning.  I was able to relocate and digiscope the birds in
the south end of the Vermet Unit (along the Middle Causeway).
One bird appears to be an adult WHITE-FACED IBIS complete with red eyes and
white loral skin.  The ID of the second bird is unknown and will probably
remain so - it is an adult bird, but shows traits of both Glossy (dark eyes)
and White-faced (reddish wash
across the face and loral skin) Ibis. Adam may provide additional
information regarding traits when he gets home this evening.

I will post images as soon as I can.

Other highlights included a vocal VIRGINIA RAIL  along the Middle Causeway
that made a visual appearance and even called in the open.  I was unable to
get clean photos from grass level, but got within a few feet of the bird.

Adam reported ~10 Least Bitterns (seen and heard) around the marsh.
He and Scott saw 4-5 Cattle Egrets.  I found a high-breeding Cattle Egret in
the pond at the corner of US Turnpike and Roberts Rd.
Yellow-headed Blackbirds were calling from the Humphries Unit.
A SNOWY EGRET was also in the south end of the Vermet Unit but flushed
before I could get close enough to digiscope.
A SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER was seen in the south end of the Vermet Unit - it
appears to be blind in one eye.

Shorebirding in Cell 3 was light - 1-2 dozen Dunlin, a half-dozen
Semipalmated Sandpipers, 4 White-rumped Sandpipers, a couple Semipalmated
Plovers.

A DICKCISSEL was observed and photographed along Haagermann Rd. near the
radio towers along w/ several Bobolink (males and females).

Jerry Jourdan
http://jerryjourdan.blogspot.com