[Mich-listers] Piping Plover Allegan Co. 4 June 2011

Rick Brigham brigrick at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 23:16:16 EDT 2011

Greetings,

This morning on a tip from Chip Franke I refound a banded Piping Plover he
had along the Lake Michigan shoreline of the Saugatuck Harbor Natural Area
north of the Oval Beach in Saugatuck. The bird was about half way between
the north end of the Oval and the Kalamazoo River mouth. It was in the
company of an individual Sanderling and Semipalmated Sandpiper. Being an
Allegan Co. rarity (a first for me in my home county) I thought it might be
of interest to other county/state listers. The bird has hung tight to this
spot for 24 hours, so it would not surprise me if it stayed through the
weekend. However, if it is a nice day tomorrow the Oval Beach is likely to
be busy and the foot traffic may push the bird onward. In this respect the
best chance for it would be soon after the gate opens at 9am.

Two singing Prairie Warblers are also on territory in the Saugatuck Harbor
Natural Area adjacent to the Oval Beach.

Good birding,
Rick Brigham
Douglas MI