[Mich-listers] Muskegon--(7) Purple Sandpipers, Long-tailed Duck, (2) Snowy Owls

Cindi Martineau cindimartineau at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 21:30:45 EST 2011

We had a nice look at the seven Purple Sandpipers that are currently along
the south breakwater at Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.  We got good views
of them feeding, braving the waters and flying around from end to end of
the breakwater.  A great treat also, was a female Long-tailed Duck that was
swimming close to the breakwater, occasionally diving.

After visiting Pere Marquette Park, we headed to the Wastewater to see the
Snowy Owls.  We had also heard report of a Glaucous Gull, which we failed
to locate.  The Snowy Owls were both visible today.  One was in the fields
before the administration building and one was in a field along the eastern
side of the storage lagoons.

We observed other birders and photographers in very close range of the
first Snowy Owl, occasionally flushing the bird and wondered what
appropriate protocols are for birdwatching in a situation like this.

Good birding!

Cindi Martineau