[Mich-listers] Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird, Kent Co., 28 Dec.

Chu, Philip PChu at CSBSJU.EDU
Wed Dec 28 16:55:09 EST 2011

The Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird at 306 N. West St. in Lowell, Kent Co., continues.

When not visiting the feeder, the hummingbird perches in the ornamental conifer that is closest to the feeder.  That tree is tall and thickly branched, and I'd like to call it a spruce except that I'm not so good at identifying trees; anyway, some of that tree's branches are bare, i.e., needle-free, and today between 10 AM and noon the hummingbird often perched in plain view on those bare branches.

To repeat the instructions that Caleb Putnam provided yesterday, if you want to visit then you should first speak with the homeowner, Sue McClelland (616/897-4236).

Phil Chu
Department of Biology
St. John's University
Collegeville, MN 56321