[Mich-listers] Snowy Owl, Other Genesee County Birds

jason st.pierre mrjstpierre at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 14:31:23 EST 2011

Today Adam Hoisington and I were birding from the dam at Hollaway Reservoir and amidst my attempt to turn Herring Gulls into Thayer's, he spotted a SNOWY OWL.  It flew from the forested area to the south of the dam, landed next to an owl decoy on the boat docks nearby, and was mobbed by crows for several minutes until it finally flew east along the southern shore.  Other interesting sightings include a Lesser Black-Backed Gull, an adult Iceland Gull, a Long-tailed Duck, two Bald Eagles, 1 Common Loon, and at least 50 Bonaparte's Gulls.  For anyone trying to pick out neat gulls at this location, be patient!  The gulls seem to appear and disappear continuously probably relating to the dump nearby.