[Mich-listers] Black Scoters, Kent and Montcalm Cos., 3 Dec 2011

Caleb Putnam caleb.putnam at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 13:21:40 EST 2011

All-

I made a couple of posts to Mich-chat about these birds but am realizing
they are both pretty rare county birds so decided to put out some more
detail. Today, 3 Dec, I found 2 different Black Scoters, the first on
Whitefish Lake near Pierson (Montcalm Co.), and the second on Sand Lake
(which is bisected by the Kent/Montcalm Co. line). The latter bird was
initially in Montcalm Co., then flew south and foraged at length in Kent
Co. Details including photos, video, ebird checklists, and maps/access
information are on my blog here:

http://aviantendencies.blogspot.com/2011/12/black-scoters.html<%20http://aviantendencies.blogspot.com/2011/12/black-scoters.html>

eBird checklists of relevance are here:

As you'll see, there was also a White-winged Scoter on Whitefish Lake. If
you try for the Sand Lake Black Scoter, you'll have to pay very close
attention to the position of the bird to be sure which county it is in, as
there is no way to position yourself where you are in line with the county
line. I have prepared a map on my blogpost
<http://aviantendencies.blogspot.com/2011/12/black-scoters.html>(the 2nd
map) to assist. In a nutshell, the bird needs to be within 100-150 feet of
the peninsula on the SE shore of the lake to be within Kent waters.

Good Birding,
Caleb Putnam

--
Caleb G. Putnam