[Mich-listers] Berrien Co. - Fish Crow, Chuck-will's-widow

jbuecking at juno.com jbuecking at juno.com
Sun Jun 21 16:18:24 EDT 2009

Listers,

Last night (Saturday, June 20) from 10:15 to 10:30 my wife Maureen and I listened to the Chuck-will's-widow from the entrance to the Christian Youth Camp on True Rd, about half-way between M-140 and Jones Rd. I wish we could have arrived earlier in the day to ask permission to enter the camp for a closer listen.

Sunday morning (6/21) at 8:15 one of previously reported Fish Crow's flew overhead calling while being chased by a Red-winged Blackbird. We watched it from the bridge over Spring Creek, just West of the intersection of Basswood & Martin roads - south of the landfill - just north of the Indiana border.

At Warren Dunes State Park we heard the 2 Prairie Warblers previously described. Turn Right at the fee booth & 1/2 way to the campground, turn Left into the parking lot with the pavilion/picnic area. Walk the path toward Lake Mich. and bear Left at the Y. Once you start to climb the large dune you should be able to hear the warblers. We did not find the Summer Tanager here and weren't able to search for the Worm-eating Warbler atop the Mt. Randall trail (go Right at the Y).

Jeff Buecking
Fenton