[Mich-listers] Rock Wren at Port Huron SGA update

Allen T. Chartier amazilia1 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 20:57:37 EDT 2009

Birders,

First, thank you to those who posted e-mails on my behalf today as I was in
the field.

As most of you know by now, a Rock Wren was found this morning (June 7)
around 10:15 a.m. and watched until 11:00 a.m. by members of the Washtenaw
Audubon Society field trip to the Port Huron State Game Area, St. Clair
County, Michigan. Observers were Diana Dugall, Jerry Herman, Rodolfo Palma,
and Allen Chartier. All of us took many photos. I have posted a selection
from the 200+ that I took at:

BIRDERS photo sharing site -
http://www.umich.edu/~bbowman/birds/se_mich/photos.html

The Rock Wren was still present when we passed through the area again at
4:15 p.m., and was observed singing softly (subsong) very occasionally in
the morning and afternoon. Several other birders had seen the bird by this
time.

To reach the location, take I-69 to the Wadhams Road exit just west of Port
Huron. Go north to M-136 (Beard Road) and turn left. Go about a mile past
Wildcat Road (about 3 miles total) to a large parking area on the left
(south) side. From here, walk west about 200 yards along the shoulder of the
road to the large concrete bridge over the Black River (there is NO parking
on the bridge). Please use caution when birding along this road, as many
drivers apparently fancy themselves in a sports car commercial when driving
through this windy, hilly section of road, and rarely slow down to the 55
mph speed limit. The wren was first found on the rocks on the north side of
the road on the east side of the river. In the afternoon, the bird had moved
to the west side of the river. There are also two rock piles on the south
side of the road that could be checked if the bird is difficult to locate.

Good luck!

Allen T. Chartier
amazilia1 at comcast.net
Inkster, Michigan, USA
Website: www.amazilia.net
HummerNet: www.amazilia.net/MIHummerNet
Blog: http://mihummingbirdguy.blogspot.com
Every day, the hummingbird eats its own weight in food.
You may wonder how it weighs the food.
It doesn't. It just eats another hummingbird.
-- Steven Wright