[Mich-listers] Worm-eating Warbler, Least Bittern, Henslow's Sparrow Allegan Co. 6-1-09

Rick Brigham brigrick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:03:00 EDT 2009

Greetings,

Here are some highlights from yesterday's June Big Day for Allegan. I was
aiming higher, but rain and wind kept us on a short leash. Ann Luft and I
finished at 110 species.

Worm-eating Warbler - In the Allegan State Game Area. Presumably the same
bird that has been seen at this location since May 3rd. This bird is on a
two track that runs north between 118th Ave and 121st Ave along the wooded
high bank west of Swan Creek. Its advisable to travel this in a vehicle with
good ground clearance as there are more ruts in the road than there were
last year. I did not measure the distance from 118th, but judge it to be
approximately 1/4 mile to the point where the bird was. Another two-track
branches off to the left just 100ft prior to the location. There is a
parking spot at this junction where a vehicle can be left while you continue
on foot. The bird is quite vocal, which makes the task of getting this
little gem into view a tad easier.

Henslow's Sparrow - In the Todd Farm Unit of the Allegan State Game Area.
This bird has been on this territory since at least April 29th. It always
sings from the same perch. Listen for it just beyond the plowed strip about
300 feet south of 118th Ave. on the east side of 59th St. There is perhaps
an additional bird here, but I have never been able to pinpoint it. The
entire area is spectacular for grassland species this year as the fields are
not being mowed for a change and the various fields planted to prairie have
actually been control burned.

Least Bittern - Heard in the cattail marshes along the Kalamazoo River east
of Blue Star Highway in Saugatuck. Unfortunately, this is accessable only by
way of a private road.

Orchard Oriole - Also in the Todd Farm Unit of the Allegan State Game Area.
On 117th Ave. just west of 58th St. Listen for it singing. This spring up to
four singing males have been seen at a time between here and 59th St., but
they are traditionally around the former old home sites at this
intersection.

Good birding,
Rick Brigham
Douglas MI