White-winged Crossbills in Monroe, Wayne, and Oakland Counties - 20 January 2008

Adam Byrne byrnea at msu.edu
Wed Jan 21 11:15:59 EST 2009

Greetings,

Yesterday I had the opportunity to look for White-winged Crossbills
in extreme southeastern Michigan.  I expected it would take me much
of the day to find them in my target counties (Monroe and Oakland),
but was able to find them at my first stops in each county (and get
back to work at a decent hour)!

I started the morning in Temperance, Monroe County and quickly found
a flock of 37 White-wingeds along Hampshire Drive, near Comstock
Dr.  This is in a subdivision on the north side of Stearns Road, just
east of Jackman Road.

In Wayne County, I easily located 7 White-wingeds in the cemetery off
Tyler Road, adjacent to the Visteon Plant.

Lastly, I started driving through subdivisions in Farmington Hills,
Oakland County and found 2 White-wingeds in an area just south of 11
Mile Road and east of Orchard Lake Road.

It is truly amazing how widely distributed and common this species is
this year!  Enjoy them while you can, we may never see another
irruption of this magnitude!

Good birding,

Adam M. Byrne