Tawas Point shorebirds, 5/25

Jim Dawe jimdawe at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 21:38:38 EDT 2008

Listers:

Sorry for the delay of the report.  I've not had internet access until now.

I had a Little Gull yesterday off the tip of Tawas Point in Iosco County.  It was mixed with are large flock of Bonapartes Gulls.
Yesterday was also a good day for shorebirds at Tawas Point.  I had 14 species total, the most notable of which are the following:
Piping Plover (1)
Wilson's Phalarope (1)
White-rumped Sandpiper (6)
Red Knot (13)
Whimbrel (53)
Total numbers of shorebirds were also good - there must have been several hundred Dunlins moving around the point in several flocks, along with good numbers of Least, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, and Ruddy Turnstones.
The south winds did not have an equally good affect on songbirds, which were disappointingly few.  I had only 10 warbler species total, though this did include (thanks to Darlene Friedman) a Prothonatary Warbler.  Otherwise, it was inexplicably slim pickings.  Perhaps birders had better luck Monday (when I wasn't there, of course).

Good birding,

Jim Dawe