[birders] Bohemian Waxwing at Belle Isle Detroit 1/11

Jim Fowler JAFowl at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 13:23:44 EST 2008

All,

The way Belle Isle is situated in the Detroit River (it essentially runs east-west), the location of the Bohemian Waxwing is actually northwest (mostly north) of the red bridge referred to in Roger's e-mail below.  It is a pedestrian bridge, just left of Central Avenue (across from the old zoo) before it crosses the same small creek.  The bird was in a flock of about 20 Cedars and would feed in the non-native honeysuckle shrubs and then perch and preen in the taller trees above for 10-15 minutes at a time.  We viewed the birds from the west side of the creek.  The last record I know of a Bohemian Waxwing in Wayne County was 8-11 January 1945 in Dearborn (Craves, 2007, The Birds of Dearborn).  Good luck

Jim Fowler
Dearborn, MI
JAFowl at comcast.net