Dickcissels / Livingston Co

Dmcwhir513@aol.com Dmcwhir513 at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 11:44:17 EDT 2005

Listers -

Pat Deventer, Karl Ott, and I followed up on this report this morning
(Sunday):

"Two Dickcissels were in Livingston County on Fleming Road 0.8 of a mile
north of Grand River on June 18th."

Today, we had at least 4 singing males and 2-3 females.  The females were
seen carrying food to nestlings or fledglings.  The birds were near the road on a
rather sizable berm that runs along the east side of the road.  The area is
also fenced off with a chain link fence.

Because of the berm, you can't see off the road very far.  Fortunately, the
males were singing from points along the top of the berm and the females were
actively foraging along the side of the berm and perching on the fence from
time to time.
We had excellent views.  (DeLorme page 40 just east of Fowlerville)

We also had some decent birding in the Oak Grove SGA, particularly along Dean
Road where we had a good selection of woodland species including Ovenbird,
Veery and Wood Thrush.  We also had a "Brewster's" Warbler and Karl found a
female hummingbird feeding young at a low nest.  The SGA looks like it could be
very good for butterflies as well.

Take care   - Doug McWhirter