Crosswinds White Pelican, Wayne Co Yes

Craig Bateman batemanc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:58:22 EDT 2005

Kevin Welsh and I went over to Crosswinds marsh this evening (6/14) at about
5:45 pm to see the White Pelican. We saw it almost immediately when we got
to the right spot. It was near where Mike Mencotti described but more out in
the open area facing towards Oakville-Waltz Rd on the left(south) side of
the boardwalk instead of the Bald Eagle nest. It looked like it would only
be visible from the Bluegill trail. Here's an excerpt from Mike's
email(6/12):

Crosswinds Marsh: I had the American White Pelican about 9:15 am, in the
spot previously reported. From the parking lot, walk left on the Blue Gill
trail (not the part of the trail that leads to a large enclosed gazebo).
Walk on the boardwalk onto the small island and look toward the Bald Eagle
nest (which is visible from the parking lot). If not for the island, you
would see the Pelican in the water in line with the eagle nest from the
parking lot.

I'll put up some poor quality photos on my website:
http://www.batemanbirding.cymplecomputers.com/e107_plugins/custompages/Pictures.php

Craig Bateman
Novi, MI