White-winged Dove, Alger Co. 5/12

theowlranch@aol.com theowlranch at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 22:20:56 EDT 2005

Howdy Folks,

I got over to Shelter Bay this evening in time to see the White-winged Dove coming to the feeders of the Hurst home. The bird spent most of it's time in the trees around the feeders and eventually went to roost for the night in some fir-trees behind the feeders. I think there is a very good chance that the dove will be present in the morning.
To get to this location from the east go west from Munising along M-28. Shore Drive/Laughing Whitefish Rd is 7 miles west of the flashing yellow light in Autrain.

Good Luck,

~Skye Haas

Bill Hurst called me this evening to report that he had seen a White-winged Dove here at his feeder in Shelter Bay this morning.  I drove down and observed the bird at about 7 p.m. this evening when he had relocated it.  To reach this location, take Hwy 41 north toward Marquette.  Turn east onto M28 and drive for 19.1 miles until you see the sign for Laughing Whitefish Point.  Turn north onto Shore Drive and travel for 4.2 miles to the mail box for Hurst at fire sign number 10130.  This will be on the right side of the road.  Turn right onto the blacktop drive and proceed down to the bottom of the small hill until you can turn right toward Mr. Hurst's house.  Walk around the right side of the house and look for the large, circular table feeder.  The dove was feeding at this feeder and resting in the trees that surround it.   Scott Hickman suboscine at hotmail.com