Eurasion Collared Dove, Chuck-will's-Widow and other Berrien County Sightings Fri PM & Sat AM

Don Henise don_henise at ntm.org
Sun Jun 5 21:06:16 EDT 2005

Robyn and I made a foray to Berrien County Friday evening (6/3) and Saturday
morning for some of the specialties that have been hanging out there.  We
started first in Three Oaks and found 2 Eurasian Collared Doves in the park
at 6:00 pm.  After watching the doves for awhile, we went in search of some
of the grassland birds in the area.

On Mill Road north of Kruger, we heard 2 or 3 Dickcissels about 7:00 pm.
They were calling from the fenced field on the east side of Mill across from
the field that was cut recently.  This is beyond the houses about 1/4 mile
north of Kruger. There were Bobolinks and several Savannah Sparrows in that
field as well.

We tried for the Western Meadowlark on Holden, but it was not singing at
7:30 when we were there.  We did see a Red-headed Woodpecker on a telephone
pole just south of the lane into the sewage treatment plant.

We then went to Jones Road to listen for the Chuck-will's-widow.  We met Don
Jennette and his wife there and waited for the Chuck to call.  Robyn and Don
J. heard it call once at the sharp right hand curve on Jones Road about
10:00 pm.  At 10:45 and again about midnight we heard it calling from south
of True Road, but very distant.  At around 11:00 pm, we heard a Barred Owl
calling from southeast of the intersection of Jones and Long Lake Roads.

Saturday morning we birded at Warren Dunes State Park.  We counted a total
of 7 singing Prairie Warblers.  One was on the trail going west from the
paved parking area near the campground, one was near the end of Blue Jay
Trail and the other 5 were heard from the various dune blowouts along the
beach between the Blue Jay Trail and the beach parking lot.

Good Birding,

Don Henise

Librarian
New Tribes Bible Institute