Wilson's, R-necked Phalaropes, Muskegon

LaRue Wells texwells at comcast.net
Thu Jun 2 18:46:35 EDT 2005

At noon today (June 2) Glenn Belyea and I saw one Wilson's and 2 Red-necked
Phalaropes at the Muskegon Wastewater Facility.  They were swimming in the
west-most of the small cells north of the west lagoon--the same place that
Kevin Thomas saw one of each species late yesterday.  We had searched this
cell at about 11 am and again at about 11:30 without seeing the birds.  It
seems likely that during these earlier attempts they were hunkered down out
of sight somewhere along the shore.

We did not find the Western Sandpiper reported by Kevin, but did see the
White-rumped.  The other shorebirds (none particularly noteworthy) were
mainly Semipalmated and Spotted Sandpipers.

Glenn and I each obtained an annual pass for entering the facility (good to
June 2, 2006).  It did not take long, and the lady issuing the passes was
very friendly and accomodating.

Tex Wells