King Rail, Snowy Egret at Pt. Mouillee, NO Avocet, July 5

Kevin Thomas brambling at juno.com
Tue Jul 5 17:38:19 EDT 2005

I made a trip to Pt. Mouillee this morning in hopes of finding the avocet
and the King Rail in cell 2.  I arrived about 8:30 and spent until about
10:00 scoping cell 2 and managed to see the young juvenile King Rail but
was unable to find the adult.  There is also a juvenile Sora and a young,
 mostly downy Sora that also spent time along the edge of the cattails.
I did not find the Avocet.  I checked the lake side of the banana along
with cell 3 and 4.  On my way back by cell 2, I stopped to check it one
more time and had a Snowy Egret out feeding with the Great Egrets.  It
stayed briefly then flew off out over the lake and south.  There were
also 2 Stilt Sandpipers in with all of the shorebirds.  Good birding.

Kevin Thomas
brambling at juno.com
517-290-3298
Ionia