Western grebe in Ottawa County and short-eared owls in Muskegon County

chip francke francke9 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 20:08:42 EST 2005

A small group on an Ottawa County Parks birding trip today (Thursday) found a Western grebe in Grand Haven (Ottawa County).  We were walking to the end of the south pier (located next to Grand Haven State Park) and we saw the bird swimming off the end of the north pier where it was visible for most of the time we were on the pier (about an hour) and was still present when we left around 10:30 a.m.  It was clearly a Western and not Clarks based on the face pattern and bill.

The same group located at least 6 short-eared owls that were flying as early as 4:00 p.m. at the Muskegon Wastewater in Muskegon County.  These birds were in the large fields located 1.2 miles north of the intersection of M-46 (Apple Ave.) and Swanson Road at the east end of the wastewater facility.

We also walked to the end of the pier at Pier Marquette Park in Muskegon County looking for purple sandpipers and we did not find any.  There were several horned grebes and a common loon there however.

chip francke
francke9 at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.