Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Washtenaw - Wed., Sep. 29

Mike Sefton mseft at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 20:40:55 EDT 2004

Birders,
  I found a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at 6:30pm today in
the finely tilled field on the north side of Willow
Rd., just east of Gooding Rd., Augusta Twp., southeast
Washtenaw County.  The bird was was with two Killdeer.
 I observed it for about two minutes, then lost it
while getting my camera from the car.  It either
wandered over a ridge with the two Killdeer, or they
all flew.  A cursory search in the other fields in the
area failed to find it again.  There are plenty of
ridges to hide behind.
  I can't believe that this is the same bird that was
seen in the area in late August and early September,
but two of them in one season in the same spot also
seems a bit improbable.
  From county lifer to trash bird in less than one
month.

Mike Sefton