Cackling Goose in Michigan

Allen Chartier amazilia1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 16:16:06 EDT 2004

Birders,

I have copied below, with his permission, a posting from Bill Whan (editor
of The Ohio Cardinal) regarding the recent (July 2004) A.O.U. split of
Canada Goose and Cackling Goose.  I felt his comments were as good, or
better than I could have written, and the links are interesting and
informative as well.

It seems likely that Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) will be added to the
Michigan list as there are several specimens with the appropriate subspecies
designations on the labels at the University of Michigan.  But first, the
Michigan Bird Records Committee will likely need to view these specimens to
verify their existence, and correct identification, before officially adding
Cackling Goose to the state's list.

As we head into the fall season, I'd like to request that birders submitting
reports to me for the Michigan Bird Survey take especially good notes (and
photos if possible) of any suspected Cackling Goose in the state.  For the
time being (perhaps only for this year), it makes sense to treat this newly
split species as a Review List species, requiring documentation, until we're
sure we understand its occurrence in Michigan.  Please send documentation
and photos to me (amazilia1 at comcast.net) and I'll forward them to the MBRC
after making copies for my bird survey files.  Please note that it is
entirely up to the current MBRC to decide whether to simply archive these
reports, or to formally review them as well.

Thanks!

See below....

Allen Chartier
amazilia1 at comcast.net