Red Phalaropes, Marbled Godwit; Delta Co. 9/28

TheOwlRanch at aol.com TheOwlRanch at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 22:13:19 EDT 2004

Howdy Listers,
 Good day out in Delta county. Zach Gayk and I birded the northwest end of Lake Michigan today. The hightlights were 5 Red Phalaropes and a Marbled Godwit in the Portage Marsh just south of Escanaba. The birds were seen in the large lagoon north of the trail that leads east of the parking lot. The birds were moving around quite a bit because of all the shotgun blasts from the duck hunters were making them pretty nervous. If I can squeeze it in tomorrow I will take another look for them. Other highlights today included a Peregrine Falcon and 4 Red Knots on a large mudflat west 5 miles from Namha along the Lake Mich. shoreline.
Shorebird totals for the day are below.
Good Birding
  ~Skye Haas

Amer. Golden Plover-5