Snowy Egret--Jackson County--20 Sep 04

Don Henise don_henise at ntm.org
Tue Sep 21 20:11:07 EDT 2004

Robyn and I saw the Snowy Egret at Haehnle Sanctuary this evening (Tues
9/21).

Be aware that most of the egrets are extremely far away ( 1/4 to 1/2 mile
away). You WILL need a scope and even then the view is less then desirable.
The Snowy Egret was fairly easy to pick out because of its smaller size, but
IDing it as a Snowy is another issue. We viewed it thru our Kowa TSN-2 with
zoom eyepiece. I was not able to see bill color, but Robyn noted the black
bill as a Great Egret walked behind the Snowy. We were both able to observe
the bird in flight and see the yellow feet contrasting with darker legs.

Directions from the original post by Gary Siegrist:

>For those you do not know where Phyllis Haehnle Memorial Sanctuary is
>located.
>
>It is 6 miles northeast of Jackson. From I-94;Race Rd.(Exit 147) go north 2
>miles to Seymour Rd.; then, west 1.5 miles to entrance on right.

Don & Robyn Henise

New Tribes Bible Institute
Jackson, MI
don_henise at ntm.org