Snowy Egret (still) - Washtenaw - Tues., Sep. 7, at 4:10pm

Mike Sefton mseft at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 16:53:06 EDT 2004

Birders,
  The Snowy Egret found by Don Chalfant today (and
also by Roger Kuhlman yesterday; see below), was still
present from 3:30pm today until I left, which was at
4:10pm.
  Note that the location given in the Detroit RBA by
Karl O. this morning is incorrect; the location I
mention below is correct.  Note also that Karl O.
cited a 1955 record for the county (August 16 & 19,
1955 by Laurie Binford et. al. in Ypsilanti), making
the Chalfant/Kuhlman bird the fifth record for the
county.
  Also note that the Snowy Egret and the 3 - 5 Common
Egrets it's hanging with periodically fly to another
pond to the northwest of Schneider Rd. pond.  The
other pond is not visible from the road, and is on
private property (as is Schneider Rd. pond).  If the
bird is not there when you arrive, wait a bit.  The
bird will most likely return.  There's a nice variety
of common shorebirds present for you to schlep through
while awaiting the piece de la resistance.
Bonne chance,
Mike Sefton