Snowy Egret - Washtenaw - Tues., Sep. 7

Mike Sefton mseft at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 10:36:24 EDT 2004

Birders,
  Eric Huston just called (10:10am) to report that Don
"The Man" Chalfant found a SNOWY EGRET this morning at
Schneider Rd. pond southwest of Ann Arbor, at the
northwest corner of Schneider Rd. and Pleasant Lake
Rd., Freedom Twp., Washtenaw County.
  Directions:  I-94 to M-52 exit (Chelsea), south on
M-52 to Pleasant Lake Rd., east on Pleasant Lake Rd.
to Schneider Rd., north on Schneider Rd.
  Pull as far off Schneider Rd. as possible; this is a
fairly high traffic dirt road.  Might want to stay in
your car to avoid spooking the bird until everyone has
had a look.
  This is the fourth record for the county that I am
aware of; 10 May 1889 (U-M Museum of Zoology), 13 Aug
1984 (Nixon Rd. pond, M. Kielb), and c. May 1999 (?)
(Prospect Rd. pond, can't remember who found it,
though a few of us were lucky enough to see it before
it left).

Mike Sefton