Great Gray Owl - Schoolcraft Co Sunday

Cccta at aol.com Cccta at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 07:53:56 EDT 2004

Listers,
       I had a Great Gray Owl at Seney NWR on Sunday at dusk. The refuge
staff indicated that the area between the Driggs River Road entrance and the C-3
fishing area was where they had been most recently observed and this is indeed
where I found one. This entrance off 28 is several miles west of the town of
Seney, on the north side of the refuge - far from the driving loop and visitor
center. You can get a good refuge map at the center and the loop is a gorgeous
drive (I did the loop on Saturday) - but don't expect the owls there. I also
had Black-backed Woodpecker, American Bittern, calling Whip-poor-wills, dozens
of Trumpeter Swans & Sandhill Cranes, a pair of Red-necked Grebes (unusual
there I'm told), some Beavers and a Coyote.
       Whitefish Point was a little slow this weekend allowing for lots of
very important discussions. Serious fog on Sat & Sun. In addition to the birds
Chris posted, we had Red Knot, Black-bellied Plover, both Crossbills, a juvie
Goshawk, Sharpies, the resident Merlin and the expected mix of small
passerines.

Good Birding,

Scott Jennex
Ferndale