Brown Pelican--Update--Berrien--6 Sep 04

Jonathan Wuepper wuepperj at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 15:06:35 EDT 2004

Hello,

Thanks to Adel Schultz for the call to RBA this morning!

The BROWN PELICAN was hanging out onshore, and a 100 or so yards offshore,
of the private beach north of Tiscornia Park at saint joseph from app.
12:15pm--app. 1:30pm., 6 Sep 2004.
At least one person on the beach claimed "it had been there all morning".

At app. 1:30pm, the BROWN PELCAN flew off and landed about 1/2 to 3/4 miles
offshore, barely visable with a scope. It had eaten a candy wrapper floating
in the lake just before taking off. (The bird was not chased off by people,
boats or pets.) I could see GULLS harrassing the bird offshore, and
sometimes vica-versa. At one point a boat came by the bird and seemed to
throw (presumably) food in its direction. After 10 or so minutes I saw it
fly farther west, out over Lake Michigan. I spent 1 hour trying to relocate
the bird, unsuccessfully.

Jon Wuepper