Baird's Sandpiper, etc / Muskegon

Dmcwhir513 at aol.com Dmcwhir513 at aol.com
Fri Sep 3 17:08:22 EDT 2004

Erik Enbody and I went over to the Muskegon Wastewater System this morning
(Friday).  We had close to 140 Baird's Sandpiper's in various plumages in the
two drawn-down enclosures along the NW edge.  We also had 2 Red Knots in that
area and great views of a Peregrine along the center dike.

Other birders saw these and reported an Eared Grebe as well.

Several more common species of shorebirds were available for study, as well
as various male ducks in motley eclipse plumage.

We also stopped at the Coopersville ponds and stood on the dirt pile (the
gate was closed).  No rarities, few water birds, but excellent views of young
swallows.

Take care  -  Doug McWhirter