Hudsonian Godwit - 10/26 - Berrien Co.

Love Creek lovecreek at qtm.net
Wed Oct 27 10:06:24 EDT 2004

Greetings,

The previously reported Hudsonian Godwit at the Three Oaks wastewater ponds
in Berrien County remained present as of yesterday (10/26). It was present
with Dunlin and Pectoral Sandpipers along the west edge of the north lagoon.

The Three Oaks ponds are located along Schwark Road, just to the north of
US-12 about 1 mile west of "downtown" Three Oaks. Although access to the
ponds is restricted, I was able to view portions of the north lagoon by
parking along Schwark Road at the northwest corner of the property fence and
walking east along a two-track road that parallels the fence on the north
side of the ponds. (Do not drive in on this road.) To actually see into the
ponds from here you just need to climb up on the mounds of dirt between the
two-track and the fence.

And here's a bit of GOOD NEWS regarding future birding opportunities at this
location. With the approval of the Three Oaks Water Department and City
Commission, the Berrien Birding Club will be funding a fence relocation
project later this fall or in early winter that will permit permanent and
MUCH IMPROVED viewing of the south and middle ponds - the ponds that
typically offer the best birding opportunities. I'm currently just waiting
to hear back from the fence contracter regarding a start date for the
project. When everything is completed, I'll post an update on Mich-chat and
the BBC List.

Good birding,

Kip Miller