Ross's Goose, Jackson County, 10/23

Erik Enbody eskimobboy at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 23 15:55:57 EDT 2004

Birders-

Southern Michigan’s Premier Young Birders Team (in need of a name), Craig
Bateman, Neil Gilbert, Kevin Welsh and myself (as well as our chauffeur
dads) managed to relocate the previously reported Ross’s Goose in southern
Jackson County this morning. It was first seen by a few observers at the
crack of dawn on Thorn Lake (also known as Watkins on the atlas) just after
8:00, but did not reappear when I arrived. We managed to relocate it amongst
a few hundred Canada Geese on Horning Road about half-way between Arnold and
Lawrence Roads in a field to the north. Also at the location was at least
one Cackling Goose, obligingly hanging out near other much larger Canada
Geese. This was from 9 to 9:45. We then went back to Thorn Lake where the
Ross’s flew in at 10:20ish.

We also came across Dudley (the Long-billed Dowitcher) at Avis Farms (and
Swift Run Pond later) as well as Leroy (the Lesser Black-backed Gull) at the
Ann Arbor Landfill. Also at the landfill was a pair of Cackling Geese mixed
in with the Canadas. Swift Run Pond held one probable White-rumped
Sandpiper, although it rather distant.

A few of us also have pictures of the geese, if anyone is interested.

Good birding!

Erik Enbody