[birders] Finding Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows in Michigan

Santner, Steven santners at karmanos.org
Thu Oct 14 10:27:17 EDT 2004

	Allen and others:

	In Pennsylvania when I lived there, the Sharp-tailed Sparrows (nearly all of which are Nelson's) were casual except for one site - the river islands in the lower Susquehanna River in the fall between about Oct 1-10 where they were regular every year (once we even found 13+ at one time!).  I suspect that the peak season in Michigan will be from Sept 25 - Oct 5.  These islands had most of the elements mentioned in your habitat description.  The main area was Purple Loosestrfe mostly with sedges and some other weedy plants.  The top of the plant layer was between 1-4 ft tall.  There was usually some water (up to 12 in deep) over the whole area so that high boots were required.  We just walked through slowly in groups of 3-5 at a time and usually they would pop up to the top of a bush briefly when flushed.  The other spot (less reliable) was a mostly sedge island with many fewer bushes and usually more water.  At both spots we usually found rails and bitterns also.  In Michigan, the two best Lower Peninsula sites which would be similar that I am aware of are the Arcadia marshes and the marshes around the St Clair River delta on Harsen's Is and on the mainland in St Clair Co.  One thing to keep in mind.  These are not usually places where you should go on your own.  There may be quicksand or really deep mud (several feet deep) which you may sink into rapidly and you need to have others around to pull you out.  Also, it is a help to have several people moving through these areas to spot birds.

	Steve Santner