Lesser Black-backed Gull Genesee Co - 11-26

Cccta at aol.com Cccta at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 18:31:33 EST 2004

Listers,
  Today I refound one of the Lesser Black-backed Gulls that Jeff B found a
couple weeks ago on Lake Fenton in southern Genessee County. I found the bird at
about 4:15 pm amidst a group of about a thousand gulls - mostly Herring but
also about 1/4 Ring-bills. I was viewing them from the DNR boat launch on Grove
Park Road off Torrey Road.
  Other good birds today included a Northern Goshawk in western Lapeer Co on
Genessee Rd near Maple Leaf Rd just north of I-69 near the county line and a
Northern Shrike in southeast Shiawasee Co on the south side of Bath Rd about 5
miles west of Byron. Saw a few  Rough-legged Hawks mixed in with the Red-tails
today and a distant flock of Snow Buntings on a horse farm in Shiawassee Co.

Good Birding,

Scott Jennex
Ferndale

Jeff Buecking wrote:

Hello Mich-Listers,

Just after 5:00 yesterday afternoon  I saw 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls at the
north end of Lake Fenton in southern Genesee County. Virtually all of Lake
Fenton is surrounded by development and I observed the gulls from the property
in back of a church at the corner of North Long Lake & Torrey Rds. This spot
can be reached by exiting US-23 at Thompson Rd (exit 84) and going east to
Torrey Rd (the first intersection) and turning south (right). The next road is N
Long Lake. If you park in the church parking lot, you can follow a walkway
around the right side of the church to the property in back along the lake.

In the late afternoon, gulls stream into the north end of Lake Fenton from a
local landfill several miles to the north along Torrey Rd next to US-23.

I guessed about 3,000 Ring-billed & Herring Gulls were resting on the lake
when I got there at 5:00. A scope is a must here because of the distance. Your
best alternative to the church property would be asking permission from a
homeowner on the northeast side of the lake to scan  from their backyard. You could
try Lakeside Landing Rd off Fenton Rd and or another road between there and N
Long Lake. There is a state boat launch off Grove Park Rd several miles south
of N Long Lake Rd, but views would be quite distant from there.

Good luck,

Jeff Buecking
Fenton