Trumpeter Swans - Iosco County - 11/19/04

Acanum at cs.com Acanum at cs.com
Fri Nov 19 18:17:12 EST 2004

This morning (Friday) at 10:30, I got an excellent view of two Trumpeter
Swans feeding close to shore in the Foote Dam flooding of the AuSable River, just
west of Oscoda. The pair was visible from the picnic area of Footesite Park, a
park operated by Oscoda and Consumer's Power.

These birds (both mature adults) were easily distinguishable from Tundra
swans due to their size, bill shape, and faint streaking on the tops of their
heads. I got good views of wings and legs, and neither bird was banded or tagged
in any way.

I watched the pair feed and rest for half an hour before I left - they
remained, looking quite comfortable.

Kyle Bagnall
acanum at cs.com