Short-eared Owls Sanilac Co.

Karl Overman martineoverman at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 21:17:27 EST 2004

Today, November 13th, our birding party consisting of Greg Norwood,
Robert Epstein, Neil Gilbert and myself, saw 3 Short-eared Owls west of
Port Sanilac, Sanilac County at 5:40 p.m.  This was in agricultural land
on Goetze Road a half mile north of Washington Road or 1.5 miles south
of M-46.  The birds flew over both sides of the road before disappearing
over a hill to the west.  We had Rough-legged Hawk and Northern Shrike
four miles to the west on Church Road.

Cackling Geese may soon not be newsworthy but we saw them twice today:
five birds in a large gravel pit on Ruth Road .4 of a mile north of M-46
in Sanilac County and a single bird at Harbor Beach, Huron County.
These Cackling Geese were all in large flocks of Canadas.

At the beginning of the day we had seen two King Eiders at Port Huron
around 8 am.  Both on November 11th and today, I found the best vantage
point to see the birds is a street that dead ends at the mouth of the
St. Clair River (Riverview?).  This street separates the Coast Guard
station from a factory on the riverfront.  The eiders would repeatedly
drift by that location and then fly back out into Lake Huron.  The view
of these birds from Lighthouse Park was considerably more distant.

We checked Loosemore Road in Huron County for Bohemian Waxwings and came
up empty.  We had no northern finches, not even siskins.  The only other
notable bird we had in Huron County was a late Catbird at Grindstone
City at the former "Spotted Towhee" locale.

Cheers,

Karl Overman
Farmington Hills, Mi.