King Eiders at Port Huron

Karl Overman martineoverman at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 18:51:49 EST 2004

Today, November 11, myself, Darlene Friedman and Sharon Johnson saw two
King Eiders at Port Huron at the southern end of Lake Huron.  We
initially saw a first year male from Lighthouse Park at 1:30 p.m.  It
would drift with the current into the beginning of the St. Clair River
and then fly back out into the lake only to drift back to the  river
again.  The male eventually joined a female and later in the afternoon
they stayed together up until we left at 4:30 p.m.  Later in the
afternoon they stayed closer to the entrance to the river but still
drifting with the current and then flying a short distance out into the
lake.

Tex Wells and Ed Smith got  there to see the birds just as we were
leaving.

Not much else seen by us.  A couple Red-necked Grebes, 4 White-winged
Scoters and two Surf Scoters and a fair number of Long-tailed Ducks.

Cheers,

Karl Overman
Farmington Hills, Mi.