Townsend's Solitaire, Muskegon Co., Musk State Park

Carolyn Weng wengch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 22:20:44 EST 2004

Mich-listers,

A Townsend's Solitarie was present, briefly, in the Jeff's Dune area (where a hawk migration watch is being conducted) of Muskegon State Park, at 12:15 p.m. today.

The bird was perched at the top of a small leafless aspen shrub 150 ft to my west when I spotted it. This bird was within 50 ft of the place where I observed a T's Solitaire last spring,18 April 2004, and also reported on Mich-listers.

I watched the bird with a scope for 2 minutes. It flew down into the jack pines in the interdunal area below the dune ridge and was not seen again although I continued the hawk watch for another 3 hours.

Directions:

Park in the Channel parking lot of Muskegon State Park. Walk the gated asphalt road past the Channel campground (closed for the season) registration bldg. Continue straight ahead another 200 ft or so until you have passed the wooded area on the right side of the road and you can see an east-west low dune ridge to the north (the first dune ridge north of the campground). There is a path up to the ridge line. The solitaire was in aspens beside the path on the ridge line 150 ft west of the hawk watch position. There is a wooden trail post marked with a binocular icon within 20 ft of the scattered shruby aspens where the two solitaire sightings have occurred.

Good birding,

Carolyn Weng