Berrien birds 6/27

Erik Enbody eskimobboy at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 12:13:40 EDT 2004

Birders,
Yesterday I did a little birding in southern Berrien county with my dad.
Highlights were 4 singing Prarie Warblers in Warren Dunes State Park in the
same spot Kip Miller reported them:

". . .I found a couple of Prairie Warblers at a location in the park that
offers a bit easier access than the "traditional" location along the Blue
Jay Trail to the far west of Floral Lane. To reach this location enter the
park via the main entrance and turn right towards the campground after
passing the entrance booths. Before reaching the campground you'll see a
parking area and a picnic shelter on the left. Park here and follow the
trail leading west into a large open dune area. Follow the trail for a
couple of hundred yards over level terrain until it begins to climb
noticeably up a rise. At this point veer left off the trail towards the
wooded dune ahead and to the left. The birds were singing from the brushy
habitat at the base of this dune."

The grass on the west end of the landfill on Forest Lake Rd. have been
mowed, did not locate the previously reported grassland species there.

In the woods by the river on Forest Lake Rd. we found a N. Parula, but no
Yellow-throated Warbler or White-eyed Vireo, but it was getting laterin the
afternoon so they could have been quite. Strangely, we came across what we
thought may have been a partial albino Indigo Bunting.

We next headed down the nearby Lakeside road, after a tip from a passing
birder on a bike who mentioned seeing the Yellow-throated in there. We did
not find one, but did find a Cerulean Warbler singing, but not seen. Also
had the Acadian Flycather there.
Hope this helps and good birding,
Erik Enbody
East Lansing