Tricolored Heron at Pointe Mouillee SGA, Monroe Co. on 27 June 2004

Adam Byrne byrnea at msu.edu
Sun Jun 27 21:04:41 EDT 2004

Greetings,

    This morning, my son Jason, Scott Jennex, and I birded Pointe Mouillee SGA.  Today's highlight was an adult Tricolored Heron seen in flight over the Lead Unit.  It landed at the west side of the Lead Unit but could not be relocated.  The cattail marsh is quite extensive now and I suspect this bird will out of sight most of the time.

    The first "fall migrant" shorebirds were also present today.  Killdeer numbers were up from 29 last Sunday to 85 today and Spotted Sandpipers from 1 to 19.  There were also 2 migrant Short-billed Dowitchers with the summering Dunlin (7) and Semipalmated Sandpiper (1) at the Lake Erie side of Cell 2.  Shorebird habitat is still very poor, but Cell 2 does seem to be drying up a bit and may offer habitat again this fall.

    Our waterbird totals are provided below:

30    Pied-billed Grebe
27    Double-crested Cormorant
2    Least Bittern (1 each in the Lead and Vermet Units)
41    Great Blue Heron
52    Great Egret
1    TRICOLORED HERON
1    Green Heron
7    Black-crowned Night-Heron
286    Canada Goose
42    Mute Swan
25    Wood Duck
5    Gadwall
13    American Wigeon
3    American Black Duck
246    Mallard
20    Blue-winged Teal
2    Northern Pintail
31    Green-winged Teal
2    Canvasback
43    Redhead
4    Greater Scaup
8    Lesser Scaup
1    Red-breasted Merganser (male along Huron River shoreline)
25    Ruddy Duck
1    Common Moorhen
80    American Coot
85    Killdeer