Franklin's Gulls, Ionia Co.

LaRue Wells texwells at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 21:42:35 EDT 2004

At 11:00 this morning (June 4) Ed Smith and I saw 2 of the second-summer
Franklin's Gulls first reported on 6/2 at the Lakewood Wastewater ponds near
Lake Odessa in southwestern Ionia County (on Harwood Road, south of
Musgrove).  The birds were hanging close together.  We saw no sign of a
third bird seen on 6/2.  As stated in an earlier message, the gate to the
ponds is open 7am-3pm Monday-Friday and 8am-noon on Saturday, but anyone
wishing to enter should first check in at the office.  Although the birds
could probably be seen from outside the gate at times, such was not the case
when we were there.  They were not very far in, but were standing low on a
dike on the inside of a cell.

We saw a single Eared Grebe (in full breeding attire) at the extreme
northwestern corner of the west pond of the Muskegon Wastewater Facility,
but little else.  Water levels are too high for most shorebirds.  The middle
causeway is closed to auto traffic.  I suppose the closure is related to the
myriad of gulls nesting along this dike

We did not see the Snowy Egrets reported yesterday along the causeway
between Muskegon and North Muskegon.

Tex Wells