Berrien Specialties

Jonathan Wuepper wuepperj at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 14:13:27 EDT 2004

Hi,

Requests are piling up  for information on Berrien "specialty" birds (YT WA<
etc, etc). Easiest thing for me to do, is to post. Hopefully, this will
satisfy demand.

WORM-EATING WARBLER: 1 on 1 Jun at Yellow Birch Trail, Warren Dunes SP
(WDSP). Visually confirmed (by me), at south "start point" of boardwalk.
Another, NOt visually confirmed (not my observation), was reported 1 Jun, at
parking area of Warren Woods SP (Elm Valley entrance).

WHITE-EYED VIREO: 1 on 1 Jun, seen from Lake side bridge; another report, 1
Jun, along Galien River at Warren Woods SP.

NOTE: Large field at NE corner of Flynn and Elm Valley was HERBICIDED this
weekend. No more good stuff (and no babies).

DICKCISSEL: 1-3 birds on 1 Jun, present along Mill (AKA AVERY) Rd, north of
Kruger Rd. Hayfields in need of mowing. (Better get these while you can!).

WESTERN MEADOWLARK: 1 heard vocalizing within last week, at DickCissel
location (but on opposet side of road, among the cows.)

SEDGE WREN: same location as DICKSISSEL. Also at WEST END/FIELD of Forest
Lawn Landfill, on Forest Lawn Road. DO NOT go beyond gate, if open! I heard
this species among fallow fields along Elm Valley Rd, east of Mill (Avery)_
on 31 May.

HENSLOWS SPARROW: Landfill location, 1 Jun,  (as above). I would suspect
Flynn and Elm Valley birds erraticated (sp?). Try Sarett NC s prairie
restoration, and/or upland of Brown Sancturay.

YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, NORTHERN PARULA, CERULEAN WARBLER all on 1 Jun,
along Forest Lawn Raod, and/or Lakeside Rd bridge (which is out).
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER also seen recently at Galien River at Warren Woods
SP.

CLAY-COLORED SPARROW: Seen at Sarett NC Prairie Restoration within the last
week.

Kip Miller posted the following on the listserve of the Berrien Birding
Club. All are localuncommon species:

"Greetings,

I heard/saw some interesting grassland birds while cycling a Bridgman,
Berrien Springs & Buchanan loop this morning.

SEDGE WRENS: Quite a few around this year it seems. I heard them from hay
type fields in several locations, including on Livingston Road north of
Bridgman. Look on the north side below the power lines between Gast &
Jericho Roads, just west of the Ultra Seal factory/building.

NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD: One was singing away on one of the employee picnic
tables at the Ultra Seal facility noted above!

DICKCISSELl: In addition to the previously reported birds on Mill Road, I
heard one or more on Rangeline Road, south of Matthew Road, on the east side
of the road across from the sod farm.

HENSLOW'S SPARROW: One was singing in a large field on the north side of
Warren Woods Road, to the east of West Clear Lake Road. (Buchanan area)  It
was actually just across from the entrance to a camp - but I've forgotten
the name.... Sadly, this location may become more important as the field at
the corner of Elm Valley & Flynn is scheduled to return to corn or soy bean
production this summer. (We had great looks at Henslow's at this location on
the Saturday BBC field trip.)

GRASSHOPPER SPARROW: On Gast Road to the north of Browntown Road. In the
hayfield on the east side of the road, just north of a nursing home.

PROTHONOTARY WARBLER: I actually saw this while birding yesterday at the
Jasper Dairy Road public access site on the St. Joe River north of Berrien
Springs. It seems to be on territory near the south end of the access site,
in the strip of riverside woods near the south end of the parking lot. (The
opposite end from the boat launch....) Jasper Dairy Road is located between
Rocky Weed and John Beers Roads. Watch out for the posion ivy if you decide
to go in after it! [NOTE: Also present at Sarett NCs Brown Sanctuary, and at
end of Sarett's 'River Trail", JTW.]

Good birding, Kip Miller"

Jon Wuepper