RFI, Michigan Birding

Patrick Santinello patrick at qprocorp.com
Tue Jun 1 11:37:41 EDT 2004

Hello Michigan Birders (this is a re-post of the following message),
A small group of birders will be visiting Michigan for a long weekend in
early June. We will be visiting Grayling to see Kirtland's Warbler
(naturally!) and would like some info on the other spots we plan to visit.
Most of the info we need refers to the UP.  First, we were told of an
area/forest service road along Rte 123 between Trout Lake and Eckerman (This
road heads west off of 123 and loops to H40) where both Mourning and
Connecticut Warbler nest. Does this still hold true?  If not, any info on
these species would be appreciated.
We will probably spend time at Seney looking for Yellow Rail/LeConte's
Sparrow, at Tahquamenon and at Whitefish as well. We will have almost 2 full
days birding the UP.
Species we are interested in seeing are:
Spruce Grouse
Sharp-tailed Grouse
Yellow Rail
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Black Backed Woodpecker
Three Toed Woodpecker
Sedge Wren
Gray Jay
Mourning Warbler
Connecticut Warbler
Boreal Chickadee
Evening Grosbeak
LeConte's Sparrow
As well as any other interesting spots that are recommended.
We have been trying to find a copy of
ichigan+Maps&mediaType=1&srchType=Keyword> Michigan County Maps and Outdoor
Guide  (These are the MUCC maps published in 1988). Any suggestions on this
Thanks in advance....
Good Birding,
Patrick Santinello
Montauk, NY 11954