Spotted Towhee (likely) - Livingston County

John Lowry john at kingbird.org
Sat Jan 31 17:15:30 EST 2004

Birders,

I have a bird that I have tentatively identified as a Spotted Towhee
(adult male) coming to my feeder.  I have taken some pictures which are
available to anyone who wishes to view them.  As for trying to see the
bird itself, birders are welcome to come by our house which is in the
southeast part of Hamburg Township in Livingston County.

The bird was seen this afternoon at 3pm (only by me, so far), but I've
been noting a towhee for the past 3 weeks that I had been calling a
male Eastern Towhee, although I had been confused about having seen a
lot of white on the wings.  in other words I think this bird has been
here for a few weeks!

As for viewing logistics, I think the best vantage point might be from
the southwest corner of our house near where we have a Purple Martin
house.  I will post again with more details as I can determine any
better viewing opportunities.

Directions to our house:   Basically, head west on M-36 from US-23 to
Merrill Road and head south past Strawberry Lake road.  From Strawberry
Lake and Merrill Road, head south to reach Centennial Drive (less than
1/4 mile).  Turn right (only way possible).  Our house is about 3/4
mile down this dead end road, on the right.  Pull up into the driveway
to the garage area and park anywhere.

John Lowry
11606 Centennial Drive
Whitmore Lake, MI  48189