Soo Trip December 20,21

gnorwood at umd.umich.edu gnorwood at umd.umich.edu
Wed Dec 22 15:36:42 EST 2004

On December 20, Mark Dettling, his parents, and I found a Great Gray Owl
on Sugar Island, approximately one mile from the ferry along one
and-a-half mile road.   Bohemian Waxwings were quite numerous with over
300 seen.

On the 21st, we encountered six Sharp-tailed Grouse at Riverside and 9
mile.  Between 10 and 11 mile Roads along Hay lake Road we had a flock
of 30 Pine Grosbeak, but they proved to be scattered throughout the
region as were Northern Shrikes.

We refound the previously reported Northern Hawk Owl at the end of Soo
Line Rd. in Luce Co.

Good birding,

Greg Norwood