Snow Goose & Pine Siskin - Oakland Co 12-17

Cccta at aol.com Cccta at aol.com
Fri Dec 17 12:45:53 EST 2004

Listers,
  This morning I was doing some scouting for tomorrow's CBC in the vicinity of Independence Oaks County Park (Sashabaw Rd north of I-75 exit 89) and stumbled onto a couple of new-for-me OC birds. The lone Siskin was at a very active group of feeders on Shappie Road just west of Perry Lake Rd. This is just north and west of the Park. A single, blue-morph Snow Goose, in a flock of about 20 Canada Geese, was a low flyover to the south around 8:30 am at Wedgewood Dr and Oakhill Rd west of Sashabaw. I checked the nearby lakes, most of which have little open water, for the next 2 hours without refinding the geese.
  Later, on the way to work I stopped to snipe on someone else's territory and found my first (2 actually) Oakland Co Great Black-backed Gull. They were with about 1000 gulls in the bull-dozed area on the east side of M-24 across from the dump immediately north of the Palace and south of Brown Rd. I wouldn't be surprised if there are rarer gulls in the mix there but I was looking from quite a distance through binos, unable to find a legal parking vantage to scope from that wasn't looking into the BRIGHT sun. I'm not sure when the last time was that I got 3 new OC birds in one day but I'm thinking this is probably the last time : )
  Incidentally, I am trying to compile an acurate and complete Oakland County bird list. If you are aware of any rare/oddball/historic records please forward them to me.

Good Birding

Scott Jennex
Ferndale