Mott Lake Lesser Black-backed Gull 12/15

Santner, Steven santners at karmanos.org
Fri Dec 17 09:14:11 EST 2004

	Luke:

	Where is Mott Lake?

	Steve Santner

-----Original Message-----
From: mich-listers-bounces at envirolink.org
[mailto:mich-listers-bounces at envirolink.org]On Behalf Of Luke Redmond
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 8:29 AM
To: mich-listers at envirolink.org
Subject: Mott Lake Lesser Black-backed Gull 12/15

Sorry for the late post, I haven't had computer access for a couple of days.
  On Wednesday, from 11:30 to 12:10, I saw a single Lesser Black-backed Gull
near the west end of Mott Lake.  It spent time sitting on the ice and also
foraging in open water along the north shoreline with about one hundred
ring-bills.  This was about 400 m west of the paddlewheeler along that
shoreline.  I viewed the bird from a maintenance shed driveway along
Carpenter Rd. (I'm pretty sure this is the correct road, the one that runs
along the lake at its western end).  The bird had a very dark grey mantle,
smudgy head and neck and pretty noticeable yellow legs, and was larger than
the Ring-billed Gulls it was associating with.  The bird was still present
when I left, but the cold wind and another commitment kept me from staying
longer.  Good birding.
Luke Redmond