N Hawk-Owl - Luce Co, Great Gray Owls Chippewa Co 12/11

Cccta at aol.com Cccta at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 20:22:50 EST 2004

Listers,
  Today Doug Munson, Tim Smart and I refound and took pics of the Northern Hawk-Owl on Soo Line Road in extreme eastern Luce County north of M-28. The bird was teed up at the north (dead)end of the road. We also had a Black-backed Woodpecker about 1/2 way back down to M-28.
 Later, Tim and I found a Great Gray Owl on Sugar Island just east of the corner of 6 Mile & Homestead Roads. The Owl flew up and back into the trees on the north side of the road to the west of the pole-barn-type building.
 Still later, after dipping on Great Grays on Neebish Island I found a gorgeous Great Gray on Riverside Drive between 10 and 11 Mile Roads, south of the Soo. It sat on a fencepost and posed for pictures in the fading light.
  We also had a Northern Shrike on Irish Line Road north of M-28 near Brimley and two Common Redpolls and fifteen Snow Buntings at feeders on Irish Line. Pine Grosbeaks were seen at several places throughout the day.
  At about 4:00 pm Doug & Kathy Munson found 3 Snowy Owls at the same time in southern Chippewa Co in the field behind 20517 S Centerline Rd south of 20 Mile Rd and west of I-75.

Have Fun,

Scott Jennex
Fendale