Purple Sand. OttawaCo.12/6, N Shrike, Scoters AlleganCo.12/5

Rick Brigham brighamr at freeway.net
Mon Dec 6 20:16:30 EST 2004

Greetings,

The previously posted Purple Sandpiper was still present today, 12/6/04, at the end of the rocks on the north breakwall at Holland State Park. I would have missed it as I was on my way back to the car when it flew 10 feet in front of me from the south breakwall across the channel. In other words it might be necessary to search the south breakwall if it is not on the north.

Yesterday,12/5/04, in Allegan Co., I had two Northern Shrike and 2 Rough-legged Hawk in the Allegan State Game Area. Two Surf and 3 Black Scoter were amongst over 2000 Red-necked Grebe off of the Douglas Public Beach.

Even with ice beginning to close up the inland waters here, quite a few species of waterfowl are still around. Of interest among the 14 species of waterfowl at the wetlands just west of the Kalamazoo River on M-89: 600+ Ring-necked Duck as well as 5 Tundra Swan and 26 Green-winged Teal. 2 Red-headed Woodpecker were lingering here also in the dead snags of this marsh.

239 Sandhill Crane were enjoying the cornfields on the east side of 62nd St. a mile south of the Kalamazoo River.

Good birding,
Rick Brigham
Douglas MI