Chippewa/Luce counties report, (belated) Dec 1-3

Caleb Putnam larus10 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:13:33 EST 2004

Listers-

(I apologize for this being belated)

I birded the eastern UP from Wednesday to Friday, Dec 1-3, 2004 with Erich
Peterson and Jeff Johnson.  Birding was spotty but with some obvious
highlights.  We were targeting Great Gray Owls, and we succeeded on Neebish
Island but nowhere else (already posted to the list).  No Hawk Owls, no
Snowy owls, no Gyrfalcon.  Areas birded were Neebish Id (Dec 1), mainland
Soo area (7 mile south to 15 mile Rds, power plant) on Dec 2, Tahquamenon
rivermouth area and M-123 west of Paradise into Luce County (Dec 2 & 3), and
Hulbert bog (Dec 2 & 3).  Here are our trip highlights:

Great Gray Owl- 2 on Neebish Island on Dec 1, both on Brander Rd seen
between 3:45 PM and 4:30 PM.  The first bird was 0.4 miles south of 16 mile
Rd just south of a mailbox with the words "Laitinen", the second bird 0.7
miles south of 16 mile Rd at mailbox #16561.  Attached are photos of the
first one.

Barred Owl- 1 active in full daylight at Riverside and 7 mile, on Dec 2.

Sharp-Tailed Grouse- seen each day @ several locations.  Examples: 9 mile
and Nicolet Rd, Ridge Rd 0.5 miles north of 7 mile, 10 mile Rd west of
Ridge, 12 mile Rd west of Riverside, M-123 south of Paradise, etc.

Boreal Chickadee- one heard but not seen at Hulbert bog on Dec 3- we also
stocked the "feeder" (made of stacked logs and a bark tray) on the north
side of the road about halfway along the east-west portion of Basnau Rd, but
saw only Black-Capped Chickadees and goldfinches at the feeder.  Might be
worth checking this feeder for Boreal Chickadees soon.

Pine Grosbeak- several seen in mainland Soo and along M-123 west of
Paradise.

Evening Grosbeak- <10 Hulbert bog on Dec 3.

Northern Shrike- various locations.

Bohemian Waxwing- 2 mixed in with Cedar Waxwing flock at 5732 Ridge Rd, on
Dec 2.  Photo of 1 of the birds below.

Common Redpoll- 1 flyover at 5732 Ridge Rd.

American Robin- 1 in mountain ashes at 5732 Ridge Rd.

Rough-Legged Hawk- only a few the whole trip, seemed scarce.

Caleb
Grand Rapids, MI
Larus10 at hotmail.com