Laughing Gull in Van Buren County

Carl Manning spirit01 at charter.net
Sun Dec 5 20:00:15 EST 2004

John Will, Judi and myself checked the south side of the South Haven pier this afternoon and found an adult winter plumage Laughing Gull in with a flock of Ring-billed Gulls about 4:30 PM today, 12/5. We were able to get about 75 feet from the bird and also got some fairly good digiscope pictures of the large bill with drooping tip, eye ring, slightly darker mantle and diagnostic gray streaking on the head. We also noted that the bird is only slightly smaller than the Ring-bills.

Also, the three of us saw the Purple Sandpiper at the Holland State Park north pier around 3:00 PM today.

John Will -- Grand Rapids
Carl & Judi Manning -- Holland